Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton

8501291
Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton 
Publisher-Harper Collins
Released-Jan 31st 2013

Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.She’s been warned.Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.She’ll be betrayed.Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay.
My Thoughts: 
I read Moulton's debut novel, Angelfire, a couple of years back and loved it. I collected the other two books in the series and now I get to read all three books all in one beautiful sitting. There is nothing I love more then escaping with my favorite genre- paranormal, but I'm not the most patient of readers. I hate loving the first book only to have to wait for years for the next two. Which brings me to this review, the sequel, Wings of the Wicked, and wow, what a sequel!

Awww man! What a book. Ellie is finally getting use to her Preliator Angelic powers and fighting off the demonic reapers is coming more natural to her every time they're looking for a fight, which is pretty dame often. With her Guardian, Will, by her side, the two slip into a business-as-usual routine of hunting, training and  fighting off the evil baddies, but inside they still harbor long aged attraction for one another that is festering to come out. It also doesn't help when Cadan is pushing all the wrong buttons, plus he was the one to warn Ellie that evil is stirring once again as an old and new threat tries to go after the Preliator's soul by breaking her heart. 

Moulton has really outdone herself with this novel. From the first chapter we are greeted with a rush of pure adrenaline as we're thrown into  battle after battle. I absolutely adore the way Moulton pens her fightin' scenes. It's fast paced, sharp, engaging, incredibly heart pumping and exhilarating. It's like I'm watching this on the big screen. In the first book there was a lot of tension between Ellie and Will from the undeniable but forbidden way they feel for each other, but in this book it felt a little more relaxed and steady, like the air slowly releasing from a balloon. There is still a lot of drama and angst and denial and all the other stuff that made me want to bang my head against the wall, but once things are set to motion, there isn't anything stopping it. The romance definitely takes a giant leap forward, which the sap in me jumped up and down for. Those would have to be my absolute favorite part about this amazing book. Will is not exactly the easiest person to get to admit his feelings, so when he does, watch out hearts, this one is gonna melt you like butter.
There were a couple of deaths in this book that shattered my heart, but to watch Ellie and Will in so much pain destroyed me. We also have a some new information revealed which I thought was a brilliant move on Moulton's part. Great twist and very bittersweet.

Ellie has come a long way since the first book. She was very unsure of herself and her abilities but in this one she felt more confident and in control of her own fate and handled every obstacle with fierceness and fire.
Will is probably one of my favorite male characters, he is such a force to be wreckin' with, physically  and emotionally. When he loves he loves with ever single fiber, he holds nothing back, which is why I'm guessing it took him so long to actually admit the way he feels.
Together, Ellie and Will make such a wicked team. I love their chemistry, banter and wit and I love the way they have each others back. From fighting with each other to ridding the world of demotic evil, these two steal the show time and time again.
I also love all the other secondary characters, each of them bring in a certain charm and entertainment to these books that I just adore, but Cadan earns a warm spot in my heart.

All in all, I loved this book, it was such an amazing read and so worth the wait. For anyone who is looking for a kickass angel series that combines action with heart, then look no further, Courtney Allison Moulton's  Anglefire series is the perfect reading escape. After that gasping conclusion I'm off to read the final novel, Shadow in the Silence. I refuse to believe that ending. Just no! 

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                  5 Snowflakes


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome book. Definitely on my TBR list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you:) It was a really great sequel:) Hope you enjoy this series!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that you just reviewed this because I just got it from the library. I read Angelfire back when it first came out and I'm finally getting to the second one. Glad to hear that Moulton steps it up more in this one. Can't wait to read it.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, that is funny. See, it's meant to be lol
      These books have been sitting on my shelf for way to long, I'm glad I finally took the time to red them:) Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read many angel novels, but this one sounds like a good one (and I think my mom has a copy of Angelfire that I can go borrow from her...). Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete