Thursday, May 15, 2014

Interview & Review: The Recruit by Fiona Palmer

Today on WinterHaven Books we have the amazing Fiona Palmer with us!  She has stopped by to answer some of my questions and I can't be more thankful!  I also have my review to share with you

Welcome Fiona!
1. I really enjoyed the whole super spy aspect of The Recruit, how did you come up with the idea?
Well it was a mix of everything. I really enjoy shows like Alias, Covert Affairs etc and I’ve always loved a strong girl who can fight. So I mixed that together with my local city Perth and other things which I thought would work, like ‘The Ring’ and her two friends. In a way I was just writing something I wanted to read. And there are still lots of spy shows on TV right now like The Americans and Intelligence.
2. Who is your favorite character and why?
Jaz!! I love Ryan but I would kill to be Jaz. (She gets to cozy up to Ryan!) To be able to know how to fight and to have such a fit body, she really is someone I wish I could have been. She’s not afraid of what people think, unless its her loved ones and she wants to do the right thing. And I would love to have hard abs.
3. What was your favorite scene to write and why?
When Jaz if fighting off the gang and Ryan comes to her rescue. He takes her home and sews her cut up, while shirtless. I would be distracted from the pain with his scars and tattoo’s too.
4. I think Jasmine was an amazing character, is she based on anyone you know?
She’s really just a mix of all those remarkable characters I love who can fight and take care of themselves, all while looking amazing.
5. Can you give us any details on the sequel to The Recruit?  There has to be a sequel it just can't end that way!!
Yes, we have Jaz with her first undercover mission. Getting close to Marcus, an 18 year old who’s father is a suspected drug supplier. Jaz also helps Ryan on a mission to Pakistan, which turns bad. Also Taylor and Anna play some important parts.
6. Do you have any writing rituals?
I try to stick to writing so many words a week, but sometimes life gets in the road and before I know it a month has gone by and I haven’t written anything. But once I start and do stick to my 10k words a week, then all is fine. I write after the kids go to school and the housework is done.
Fiona thank you so much for stopping by!
 
 
The RecruitThe Recruit by Fiona Palmer
Release Date: May 2014
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble
From one of Australia’s Queens of Romance comes the debut in a brand new YA series about secrets, strengths, and what lies beneath the surface.

Jasmine Thomas may not be completely normal, but she’s a pretty typical seventeen-year-old girl. She hates the rich mean kids, loves her best friends, and can’t wait to get out of school each day. Her spare time is spent at The Ring — a boxing gym where she practically grew up — learning karate, boxing and street fighting. So, yeah, Jaz can kick some major butt.

Life seems pretty normal until the day Ryan Fletcher enters her gym…mysterious and hot with heaps of bad boy charm. Sure, she checks him out. Who wouldn’t? But what doesn’t show on his gorgeous abs are secrets and lies that dominate his very grown-up world. Now Jaz has to figure out just how far she is willing to go to know more. Could Ryan really be offering the life-fulfilling life path she’s always dreamed of?
 
 
My Thoughts:
The Recruit is one of those rare books that will stay with me even after reading 100 others.  I usually have to refresh myself with a series if I haven't read it in a long time, but I can guarantee that when I read the sequel to this the story will still be fresh in my mind.  
 
I love books with strong female characters and Jaz is right at the top of my list along side Katniss!  I mean come on she spends her time at a boxing ring and can pretty much whip any guys bookies.  She wasn't too tough though which I liked.  She was vulnerable and she let it show when she needed to.  This showed me she had other sides to herself that every character needs.  If she was too tough and knew it she wouldn't ever ask for help and that always frustrates me.  Jaz had several hard decisions to make and she asked for help!  Loved that she did that!
 
The story honestly is one of my favorite ones I have read this year.  The whole spy/assassin thing has always been a favorite of mine and I am giddy that I have another one to add to my collection.  I liked that the author chose to go a different route with the love triangle too.  I was terrified that there was going to be one but well you have to read it to find out what happens but I for one am a very happy camper!
 
This story does stand out among my other ones though for several reasons and I have a feeling the series will be going on my favorite shelf soon.  If you are looking for a great spy book then please pick this one up. I promise you won't be sorry!
 
4 Snowflakes
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Ignitiondeck.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete