Friday, December 23, 2016

Review: The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M. Parker

The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M. Parker
Published: March 1, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse
High school senior Zephyr Doyle is swept off her feet—and into an intense and volatile relationship—by the new boy in school.

His obsession.
Her fall.

Zephyr is focused. Focused on leading her team to the field hockey state championship and leaving her small town for her dream school, Boston College.

But love has a way of changing things.

Enter the new boy in school: the hockey team’s starting goaltender, Alec. He’s cute, charming, and most important, Alec doesn’t judge Zephyr. He understands her fears and insecurities—he even shares them. Soon, their relationship becomes something bigger than Zephyr, something she can’t control, something she doesn’t want to control.

Zephyr swears it must be love. Because love is powerful, and overwhelming, and … terrifying?

But love shouldn’t make you abandon your dreams, or push your friends away. And love shouldn’t make you feel guilty—or worse, ashamed.

So when Zephyr finally begins to see Alec for who he really is, she knows it’s time to take back control of her life.

If she waits any longer, it may be too late.

My Thoughts
Well this was definitely a daunting story, which felt like a train wreck from the beginning seeing as it started off with a scene from the final chapters. I just didn’t know how bad the journey would be to the final destination. However, it was clear that The Girl Who Fell was going to take me on a dark, twisted journey where the romance was filled with inevitable pain both physical and emotional. HARSH!

Zephyr Doyle is a field hockey player for her high school team. She’s focused and level headed, as well as, determined to take her team to the state championships. Having a solid academic and sports strategy is part of her goal to getting to Brown University when she graduates. Everything seems to be going according to plan until she meets the charming, new student who sweeps her off her feet.

At first glance, Alec seems like a catch. He’s sweet and somewhat mysterious having transferred from a different school, and when he sets his sights on Zephyr, their romance escalates quickly. That’s when the manipulation and abuse begins, and she’s oblivious to the signs until it’s too late.

Well, as far as YA contemporary novels go, The Girl Who Fell definitely falls into the dark romance category. However, you can’t ignore the relevance of the novel. The relationship depicted in this story is not uncommon and Shannon M. Parker doesn’t hold back when it comes to portraying its toxic and destructive possibilities. There are hard lessons learned when it comes to young relationships that teenage girls should be aware of.

This book is relevant and bold, and I would recommend it to a 16+ audience.
4 Snowflakes


14 comments:

  1. I checked this book out from the library and was happy I didn't buy it. I had such high hopes as the topic is relevant, but just found it to be okay. I had a difficult time believing that a girl who knew everything she wanted and worked so hard and long to get there would in a snap give it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely hard to read about a girl that was so on track with her life easily let that slip. Sorry you didn't care for it Danielle.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one! I read it as an ARC a while ago and ended up being pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started reading the summary it made me worry that there would be some type of abuse. So sad to read about that....but it's definitely a topic that teens need to be aware of. I hope the end of the book had suggestions for kids who are in that situation to get help.
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read this yet, but I've read both positive and negative reviews for it. I think I'll have to borrow it from the library soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrowed it from the library Lekeisha. Definitely the route to go these days. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  6. This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  7. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    Click Here
    Visit Web
    Allaboutcfd-tomersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

    Adopsclubindia.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

    Datafutures.org
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete